Clothes Lesson Plans
Questions you will explore
- Why are we wearing what we are wearing?
- Where do our clothes come from?
- Who is making our clothes and how ethical is the fashion industry?
- How do clothes represent identity and culture?
- Who decides what 'looks good' and why do we believe them?
- Who is paying the price for 'fast fashion'?
- What can we do to change the way we think about and use our clothes?
Aims & Objectives:
Each lesson starts with a short film which serves as the platform for the lesson’s discussions, allowing students to engage firstly with the ideas raised in the film and then develop insight and engagement in the topic. Students will practise skills of critical thinking & questioning, deep listening and empathy building. Lessons explore our relationship to the clothes that we buy and wear, examining the significance of clothing to particular cultures and traditions. Students will understand the process of clothing product consumption and destruction, questioning some of the ethics of the clothing industry and unpicking our relationship to fashion and ethical consumption.