Homelessness Lesson Plans
Questions you will explore
- What does 'home' mean?
- Is having a house a fundamental human need?
- What is the stigma surrounding homelessness?
- What stereotypes exist about people experiencing homelessness and where do they come from?
- Is homelessness ever a choice?
- What rights to people experiencing homelessness have?
- What are some of the root causes of homelessness and displacement?
- Why is a 'hand up' better than a 'hand out'?
Aims and objectives:
Each lesson starts with a short film which serves as the platform for the lesson’s discussions, allowing students to engage firstly with the ideas raised in the film and then develop insight and engagement in the topic. Students will practise skills of critical thinking & questioning, deep listening and empathy building. They will explore and understand some of the root causes of homelessness and global displacement, learning to engage with individual stories and see beyond stereotypes and assumptions when it comes to people experiencing homelessness.