Homelessness Lesson Plans
Questions you will explore
- What is a house, what makes something a home and can you have one without having the other?
- What are some of the root causes of homelessness and displacement?
- What is the stigma surrounding homelessness? Why is this?
- Is homelessness ever a choice?
- How much individual responsibility do we have to engage with the issues causing homelessness?
Aims and objectives:
Each lesson starts with a short film which serves as the platform for the lesson’s discussions, allowing students to engage firstly with the ideas raised in the film and then develop insight and engagement in the topic. Students will practise skills of critical thinking & questioning, deep listening and empathy building. They will explore and understand some of the root causes of homelessness and global displacement, learning to engage with individual stories and see beyond stereotypes and assumptions when it comes to homelessness.