Sustainability Lesson Plans
Questions you will explore
- How connected are we all to the natural world and why do we need to find this connection?
- What is "nature deficit disorder" and how is it impacting our emotional health?
- Should schools be doing more to "rewild" our children?
- What is sustainable development and how does it impact indigenous communities?
- What is the role of the individual in tackling climate change?
- What relationships do governments have to the fossil fuel industries and how do they impact our own sustainability?
Aims & Objectives:
Each lesson starts with a short film which serves as the platform for the lesson’s discussions, allowing students to engage firstly with the ideas raised in the film and then develop insight and engagement in the topic. Students will practise skills of critical thinking & questioning, deep listening and empathy building. Lessons will examine our connection to the environment and the natural world, unpicking the impact that connection to nature can have on our emotional health. Students will discuss historical practices of development, exploring the notion of sustainable development and how ethical our livelihoods are becoming.